Tuesday, March 12, 2013

So, I'm a Bridesmaid.. anxiety ensues


Ever since graduating college, my mailbox has had a steady stream of wedding invitations and all the pre-wedding event invitations that go with them. I think that I could cover a mid-sized fridge with all of the magnetic save the dates I currently have in my possession. However, it wasn't until this year that I was asked to be in one.

I am completely ecstatic to be a part of this friend's wedding. We met in the sorority and shared some crazy girls' night outs including a fantastic weekend in Whistler. Those were of course fun, but then there was after graduating from college, when she came to Japan to visit me, when I third wheeled her and her (now fiancee) boyfriend's trip to Oceania, when I went down to California for our now yearly meetup and now I'm going back to CA to stand by her as she says "I do" to the guy I met for the first time at the airport so we could start our journey (that I was third wheeling).

Now since I like a good panic, as happy as I was for them, there were just as many things that I was a bit anxious about (even though this is not my wedding).

  1. What do bridesmaids do? As far as I was concerned until now, they showed up in matching outfits and smiled all day, which kind of reminded me of sorority recruitment. 
  2. There is no maid of honor. So who's doing all the planning? Wait. What do MoHs plan?
  3. What do I wear? I would not like to ruin the first wedding I'm in because I showed up in fancy dress instead of a fancy dress. 
Do I have more anxiety about this wedding than the bride? 

Probably.


*I should add that this is not real, should be worried about anxiety. I cannot possibly be more excited for my friends to be tying the knot or more honored to be a part of it. It just made me realize that I know nothing about weddings other than how to show up*

No comments:

Post a Comment