Thursday, July 19, 2012

Mineral Powder

Especially when I'm venturing into warmer climates, I'm always sure to have a little mineral powder on hand.

The one that most people are probably familiar with is the Bare Escentuals Mineral Veil (20USD/.3oz), but the one that I am currently using is the Aveda Inner Light Mineral Loose Powder (28USD/.7oz). Now that Bare Escentuals has changed their packaging to be a little more travel friendly, it is more convenient, but the Aveda Mineral Loose Powder is essentially the same thing, perhaps even a little lighter, and I actually put it in a different container anyway, so it's more down to price & preference.

I have a cheaper version of this refillable buff brush that I found in Japan. It's great because it doesn't spill and it's easy to throw in your makeup bag and/or purse. I don't suggest filling it up all the way because you'll want to wash the brush faster than you'll run out of powder.

Whichever you choose, they both still provide the necessary functions:

  1. Keeping your face matte- I don't always wear foundation, but you know what really makes your face shiny? Sunscreen. 
  2. I'm currently on a shampooing every other day schedule. This works well for my hair, except for my bangs, which tend to get greasier faster. The quickest remedy for this is to just press in some mineral powder into my bang line. 
  3. When in hot climates, it can be helpful to powder places that tend to gather sweat to help absorb some of the moisture. I tend to put a little inside my elbows, since I have fairly sensitive skin and when it's really humid out (and I'm quite sweaty), I can get little rashes quite easily. This is also easily done with talcum/baby powder, but I just tend to have mineral powder on hand.
Sure these aren't very pretty to think about, but that's what mineral powder is for, right? So you can keep looking sweaty, greasy, and rashy just in your head :)

Do you have any tricks for not looking so shiny in hot/humid climates? 

2 comments:

  1. I'm a long time bare minerals user. It works great for me. I'll have to look into the Aveda product also. I didn't know they carried something similar.

    I really like your suggestion to use the powder in your bangs. My hair tends to be on the oily side. I use dry shampoo and baby powder to combat it at home, but neither of those are very portable. The mineral powder would work great, and I already have that on hand in my purse. Thanks for the idea girl!

    Also, just wanted to let you know that I gave you a mention on my blog today. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only found out because one of my friends works at Aveda and I was visiting him at work during my break (we worked in the same outdoor mall) for a ritual (read: massage) when it caught my eye!

      I've always wanted to try dry shampoo, but don't seem to be able to find it -slash- am too lazy to go really look for it, hence the substitution :) Let me know how it works out for you!

      Yay! Thank you!!!

      Delete