I have to admit that before I started working in broadcasting, I read the newspaper very little, and watched the news even less, mostly because I was so busy reading blogs. After starting my new job, I am always knee deep in newspapers and the news is like white noise to me. I thought I'd start doing a little run down of interesting news bits that have been going on so you don't have to skim the papers yourself.
Please note that this isn't intended to spark any debates and I am not saying that any opinions that I express are the ones that you should have. I just want to curate the news so it's more palatable to you. BUT I make mistakes. If you see an error, please kindly let me know in the comments!
why you should care: The US has never been on good terms with the DPRK (Democratic People's Republic of Korea), but things are starting to get seriously heated as shown by this headline: "North Korea Eclipses Iran as Nuclear-Arms Threat." Even the new Pope, Pope Francis I addressed this issue in his Easter speech.
- This weekend Kim Jong-un signed approval to send missiles to the US (HI as well as the mainland)
- Just today, they are re-starting a nuclear reactor to increase their capacity to create nuclear weaponry. This reactor was deactivated in 2007 as part of a nuclear disarmament treaty.
- Also today, the US moved an Aegis-grade naval vessel closer to North Korea from where it was stationed in Japan to closer monitor North Korea and to be able to intercept any missiles.
ATT (Arms Trade Treaty)
why you should care: Because constant global conflict continues to drive people out of their homes, to kill the innocent, and bring corruption to many parts of the world. It also applies to the US and the ability for US citizens to purchase assault weapons (the NRA is not happy about this).
- This UN treaty puts restrictions on the multi-billion dollar international weapons trade in an attempt to decrease the accessibility of assault weapons to
- Iran, North Korea & Syria do not support the ATT, while the rest of the UN member nations passed it unanimously.
why you should care: We all consume a historically high amount of oil. Even the most eco-conscious person out there. It's so ingrained into our systems that we can't avoid it- yet. Putting aside the fact that we are depleting non-renewable energy sources at an alarming rate, oil spills are detrimental to the environment. Think it's a localized problem? Think again. The ocean gets around. Remember all that garbage that's washing up on the west coast from the 2011 earthquake and tsunami in Japan? Oil is much lighter than that.
- Just a couple days ago there was an oil spill in Arkansas.
- Remember the BP oil spill? That's still not taken care of. It's still affecting the environment (including wildlife!)
Violence Against Women
why you should care: Gender equality still does not exist. That means that half of the world's population is being discriminated against. For something they can't control.
- Tourist from the US is gang raped while her bf is handcuffed and beaten in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- A huge spread in the NYT told a story of an Afghan father who agreed to trade his daughter as a child bride in order to settle debts. The word "bride" in this case simply means that she legally belongs to the family.
- North Korea's King Jong-un made a gender-based bash on new South Korean President Park
why you should care: Because smiling is also a part of life.
- The White House's April Fool's prank
- Orphaned baby polar bear taken to zoo in Alaska (It's sad, but the bear is ADORABLE.)
- How one company is empowering women through accessories (Okay, this is shameless self promotion, but it's still a cool company and you should read it.)